Thursday, September 25, 2008
There is no such thing as a free lunch.
Really, there isn't.
Get over it!
So it has come to the point where I can no longer locate any politicians in the Western world that are actually proponents of free markets. (Other than a couple of guys that are nutso for other reasons.) I mean, maybe there are some that believe in markets privately, but in public they take the position of a pandering jackass.
In the upcoming Canadian federal election, I have 7 candidates representing 7 parties to choose from to vote for MP in my lovely home riding of Oshawa. As near as I can tell, each one of the candidates and parties is in favour of increasing the size of government.
(I'm sure my brother will tell me that the Conservatives are in favour of reducing the size of government, but really, where's the evidence of that? Show me, don't tell me.)
I'm voting for Bill The Cat.
Friday, September 12, 2008
I am only responding to brother Ig's tag because I've had a couple of beers.
1. Where was I ten years ago? Being an unemployed bum in Dartmouth, NS. However, my keen brain was finally beginning to realize that a life plan of sitting on a couch needed a bit of fine-tuning, and began to think about getting the hell out of Dodge.
2. What was on my To Do list today? Preparing for a planned evacuation alarm / fire drill at my office (for some foolish reason, I have volunteered to be our business' Lead Fire Warden). Working on some internal communications (half done). Trying to prepare for a business requirements session conference call, which was naturally pre-empted by the actual fire alarm (muddled through it). Pass the buck on a customer upgrade campaign (success!). Answer 10,000 emails (success! - okay, not that many). Pretending to analyze some data (I need me some of those Homer Simpson glasses that have pictures of open eyeballs on the lenses).
And more importantly, buying a tank of gas (a mere $85), buying beer (less than half of that), and taking the missus out to dinner as we like to do on Fridays. I also planned to watch the Jays beat the Sox tonight, but that didn't work out for obvious reasons.
3. What would I do if I were a billionaire? (a) Seriously consider paying cash in the U.S. for back surgery for the missus. (b) Buy a house. (c) Put a CFL expansion team in Halifax. (d) Travel, travel, travel.
4. Five places I've lived: Dartmouth, NS; North York, ON (okay, only for 3 summers); Halifax NS; Kingston ON; Dartmouth NS; Oshawa, ON; A State Of Denial.
5. Bad habits: Almost missing the bus; Eating at restaurants too often; Drinking all of the beer in the fridge until it's gone; Not looking at people; Not exercising; Entering the far lane directly after making a turn; Leaving work at 4:00 p.m. (Oh wait, that's a good habit); Fiddling with my Blackberry when I should be doing something else.
Now, I will tag: Paul Splittorf, Carrot Top, Bootsauce, Strom Thurmond, and Snuffleupagus.